Wednesday, 21 April 2010

The sands of weariness, wind throws in the eyes.

Have you ever googled yourself? And not necessarily for a very low form of a sheer amusement, but to check out if there were "others" like you or maybe your name was butchered somewhere by someone? I have. I've also taken a look at the image results and amongst my two old facebook profile pictures and some random stuff I saw the picture above. It was weirdly haunting, I had to save it. Mind kept boggling, so the next day, I went back to the website it was on to try and find the name of this girl/woman. It took a while, because the website turned out to be possibly the longest scrolling one I have ever encountered, with hundreds, if not thousands of various Polish poems. But there it was, maybe 3/4 way down. Melania Fogelbaum. That's all it said. Placed amongst completely unrelated pieces by different authors, it seemed to speak louder than any of the words. So who was she? Google helped again. Poet, painter, sculptor. But you won't find her paintings or sculptures, no. You'll find her poems though. Published in 2004, recovered from her old notebooks.

Written in pencil, in Polish, mostly without any titles or punctuation, unlike anything else, original, beautiful, heartbreaking, chilling and thoroughly haunting, just like the very photograph that led me to them. From what I gathered, a few of those pearls have been translated to Swedish, but never to any other language. What a shame.

0 comments: